Wednesday, November 19, 2008

My Obituary

According to ehows work editor, "when you are looking for a way to motivate and jump start your life, write your own obituary. By writing your own obituary it forces you to take a long, hard look at your life and where you are compared to where you want to be." My mom also recommended going through this exercise so it must be good advice.

Through writing this I hope to think about these questions
1.)What did I do in my life that deserves mentioning?
2.)Does my life epitomize something?
3.)Will my life be reduced to just Born on' and Died on'?
4.)Will it go unnoticed?

In answer to these questions I hope I can answer yes on the first two and no on the second two. I hope my funeral will be field with happy memories, adventures and tales of greatness but at this point in time I have a long way to reach this. Below is my obituary as I would hope it would read.


Teri Jo Countryman
Aug. 10 1985-Aug 10 2085
Born: Everett, WA
Died: Chicago, IL
Occupation: Rockstar
College: Washington State University

Survived by:
Children-Landon Carter, Liberty Anne
and 6 beautiful grandchildren



An amazing life was laid to rest yesterday on the banks of the Graceland Cemetery lake. As hundreds gathered to recognize the life of Teri Jo (TJ) Countryman stories of friendship, love and service filled the air. L. Frank Baum, TJ's favorite author, taught that imagination would lead to the betterment of world. He said, "The imaginative child will become the imaginative man or woman most apt to invent, and therefore to foster, civilization." TJ epitomized this in her life.

As a child she would spend many hours singing to thousands. Thousands of rocks that is. As her hands outstretched to the sky she would balance on the parking strip ledge and make up songs. She would sing about the grass, the sky, the cars passing by or what ever random thought popped into her head. This was only a pre-cursor to what she would become.

Years later, the crowds were no longer rocks but people looking for answers to a changing world. She went on to serve 5 years as press secretary for the president of the United States of American. Followed by 10 years as an ambassador to Japan. before retiring to a life of karaoke bars around the world.

After serving her country she decided to pack her bags and see as much of the world as possible. She traveled to the corners of the world making friends through her favorite pastime karaoke. TJ fell in love with karaoke the first time she travelled to Japan and it became the glue to friendships with everyone she met.

As witnessed be those sitting on the manicured lawns staring out acrross the waters that glue was strong and she will be missed.

(p.s. I spent a lot longer thinking about this then I thought I would. I have spent two evenings writing my obituary when I am alive and well. I only ended up with a few short paragraphs but I learned a valuable lesson during this, I have a lot to see and do. I haven't done enough to fill the gaps in my story.I haven't reached the potential I have. I haven't deceided how I am going to get from point A to B but what I do know is where I would like to be and the stories I would like to be told. While I was researching I found this amazing site http://www.therememberingsite.org/ . It is a site that helps you write your own biography. I plan an using this site to help me fill the spaces of this blog and starting putting me down on paper. I can't wait.)

No comments: